A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Wednesday 26 October 2016

Center Seam Blankets.

Disturbed family life in the nursery by Johann Eleazar Zeissig (1737–1806)


I recently had an enquirie regarding center seam blankets. I could not recall any previous information I had collected, so I went searching.
Center seam blankets did exist in the 18th century. To my mind the only reason theses blankets can exist, must be because they were made on home looms that were too narrow to produce a full width blanket. This assumption of mine is backed up by at least one center seam blanket that I found that is obviously home made.
Keith.



18TH C WOOL BLANKET WITH MUSTARD COLOUR EMBROIDERY INITIALS AND CENTER SEAM.

18TH CENTURY BLUE CHECKERED WOOL BLANKET W CENTER SEAM GREAT CONDITION WELL MADE.

American Textile History Museum, Lowell, Massachusetts.


18TH CENTURY WOOL HOMESPUN TWO PIECE CREAM COLOR BLANKET 60X72 1700S.

More Information: https://rjohnhowe.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/american-frontier-weaving-in-the-17th-and-18th-centuries-janice-hensley/

No comments: