A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 24 December 2011

Round Ball Moulds Of All Sizes.

Someone recently contacted me looking for a round ball mould. Some moulds only come in certain sizes, & the size you need may not be available. Dixie Gun Works sell round ball moulds, one of which is made from a 1950s hair straightener! It has no sprue cutter, but other than that it is perfect. You simply order the size you want.
I bought one many years ago as a single buckshot mould. Time is something I have in camp, room for a multi ball mould I don't have. I cut off the loops of the scissor like handles, & trimmed the head square of any access metal. I have seen originals that look just like it!

Ball moulds get pretty hot after a while of use, so you need to wrap the handles in leather to protect your hands.

1 comment:

Gorges Smythe said...

Wearing leather gloves helps, too. If I didn't already tell you, have a nice Christmas.