A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Tuesday 3 November 2009

More Bags & Pouches.

The belt bag or belt pouch went out of fashion in the 17th century, but it was retained as a utility bag by tradesmen, women and hunters into the 18th century. I use mine to carry my flint & steel and my fishing tackle because I always have this pouch with me at all times.
The powder wallet or powder bag was used to carry extra gunpowder. When it was no longer in use for containing gunpowder some people would use it for storing extra tinder for fire lighting.
"...........takes fire readily from the spark of a steel: but it is much improved by being kept dry in a bag that has contained gunpowder."
Samuel Hearne, Northern Canada 1772.



My fire bag is made of leather and made water resistant by rubbing in a mixture of tallow and beeswax. This contains my tinderbox and some small pieces of kindling plus a small candle used for drying out wet kindling if I have to. This with my steel is carried in my belt pouch. The steel is tied off to the bag buckle so it cannot be lost.


This is another knapsack that I made out of a second hand Chinese all cotton school bag. I attached leather shoulder straps made from second hand waistbelts & I removed the friction buckles and staps from the flap closure and added three bone buttons. The bag cost me $2.00 at an op-shop.

No comments: