A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 3 July 2009

Moccasins For A White man.







I needed to replace some worn out soles on my moccasins, but did not have anything that I could easily mould and sew. Usually when I sew on a double sole I use medium weight leather and sew on the side of the moccasin so the thread is not touching the ground. Then I remembered some talk about a white man's moccasin, called a shoe-pack. There was such a moccasin, but only one was found, and the pattern that was put about was not the original design.Anyway I thought that it at least set a precedent for a white man sewing a sole on a moccasin in that fashion, so here are some pics of my new moccasin soles.As you can see I used an awl first to make the holes round the sole, then I followed the line of holes carefully with my knife to cut a slit so it would protect the thread.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear sir,

Where can i found same mocassin?

best

Bruno

Keith said...

Hi Bruno. You can find woodland Indian Center Seam moccasin patterns on these site:
WOODLAND INDIAN CENTER SEAM MOCCASINS.
http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/moccasin/mocinstr.html

http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/moccasin/moctext.html

Regards, Keith.