A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Sunday 29 April 2007

The Clothing of the English and European Forester, Woodsrunner or Woodsman in the New World. 1700-1760.


The clothing of the eastern forester whether man or woman is probably the easiest to come by and the least expensive. They are practical, hard wearing, cool in summer, warm in winter and best suited for historical trekking. The following is a list of the basic items; Indian influenced woodsmen, Indians, white and black Indians, and courier de bois wore the same or similar dress excepting possibly the wide brimmed hat.
Low crowned wide brimmed wool felt hat. Black was a popular colour, but dark green or brown is also acceptable.
Linen, cotton or wool shirt. I suggest you carry a wool shirt in your bedroll for winter night use.
Linen, cotton or wool waistcoat. This should reach to just above your knees.
Breeches or breechclout. Linen, cotton or leather. The breechclout may be lined.
Leggings. Leather and reaching from just above the knees to the foot and long enough to fit over or inside the moccasin flaps.
Moccasins. Leather, woodland Indian style. The center seam moccasin is easy to make. I extend the flaps to wrap around and reach up above my ankles giving me more protection.
Stockings or socks. Linen, cotton or wool. I prefer stockings that reach up over the lower leg of my breeches making it easier to put on my leggings.
Smock or hunting shirt. This garment is of the pull over style and can be made on the basic shirt pattern. Open neck, linen or tow, this fits over all other clothing unless you also wear a coat, match coat, blanket or half blanket and it should at least reach your knees.
Half blanket. The half blanket is just that, half a blanket. This can be worn folded and pinned over the shoulder in winter. I use a brass trade ring clasp or brooch to secure my half blanket in the front but you can also fashion a wooden pin.
Neckerchief. Linen or cotton. To be on the safe side I would stick to dark solid colours.
Mittens. I have a knitted wool pair and a pair I made out of blanket material, which have a woven cord securing one to the other long enough to reach from my hands up and around my neck.

Bibliography.
The New World Woodsman 1700-1760. His clothing, arms and equipment by Keith H Burgess (unpublished manuscript) and other sources listed therein.
Copywrite KH Burgess

No comments: